The difference in summertime temperature between 0530 and 0630 is much discussed. I don’t know what the exact temp was on this sunny Saturday morning at The Vulcan, but afternoon’s heat indices are expected to reach 105 to 107. With an official heat advisory in effect, it was a HOT HOUR at The Vulcan. If you catch my mug at the end of this video name-o-rama I looked the worst of the bunch.
With 2 FNGs (Pilgrim and Elmer), a refugee in from the metropolis of Dallas (Plus One), and 22 local PAX, we got on with it…
- IC (“in cadence”) Side Straddle Hop
- IC Imperial Walker
- 20 SC (“single count”) Merkins
- 25 LYBs OYO (little baby crunches on your own)
- IC Head Taps (like an alternating shoulder tap, except tap the back of your noggin)
(at the Amphitheater)
- 15 SC Decline Merkins
- 15 SC Dips
- 10 SC Decline Merkins (good form…its only 10!)
- 10 SC Dips
- 20 Steps ups for each leg OYO
- 20 IC Incline Merkins
THE SWITCHBACK (is back)
We’ve done this before. YHC (your humble correspondent) found it a bit easier than last time, but it is tough. In a single file slow moving line, we bear crawled down across the first amphitheater seat, make the turn, up to the next row and on again until the top was reached. The PAX did low flutter kicks at the top while waiting for the 6 to arrive.
THE 700 CLUB
I have to admit… I liked this one.
- In a 4-man team, collectively complete the following,
- 200 Merkins, 200 Prisoner Squats, 200 Dips, 100 Burpees (700 total reps for team to complete)
- (7) lap run of “main loop” at the park (1.45 miles total… I measured it with GPS before the workout)
Teams were free to do all of this in any order they chose, as long as they stayed together as a team. Since teams would certainly complete this at different times, direction was given to stay in teams afterwards and continue with additional exercises of each team’s choice until the end of the workout period. I planned this intentionally with the goal of some bonding time in the small groups. I hope some enjoyed that aspect of it.
With 4-5 minutes left we circled-up around the flags and PAX were called up to direct us in an exercise. We were put to work by Rabbit (who needs to Q soon!), Saluki, and maybe one other. Grundl closed out the workout for us with a nice cool down selection: Burpees.
Welcome FNGS: Blake Roberson (“Pilgram) and Paul Darden (“Elmer”)
- Q School led by Scam coming up (full details to come)
- Rabbit mentioned the plan for an upcoming AO in Mountain Brook
- Prayer Request: Bruce Rem (sp?) battling pancreatic cancer
We were led in a pro-style prayer by Saluki. Approximately 10 PAX headed over to Octane for Coffeteria.
It is a privilege to Q an F3 Birmingham workout at The Vulcan. YHC had a “nice little Saturday planned”. Thanks for coming out. Always be head locking. Find the Sad Clowns out there.
See you in the gloom,